Sunday, March 10, 2013

Why, God, why?!


Years ago, when I didn’t have a full time job and a husband and 7 month old twins and I did have free time, I used to write a thing or two from time to time about designer jeans and pretty clothing and designers I liked and so forth. Someone whom Anna Wintour has never heard of might even have said that I wrote about fashion. At the time I was writing those things, I might have agreed. Now I’m not so sure.

As the days pass, and as the trends about which I used to bitterly complain fester on (and on, and on), I am beginning to believe that I am but a voiceless peasant in some kind of dark, hopeless dictatorship. The misguided masses bow to the cruel and ignorant tyrant and I am but a tiny, quiet minion, forging on through the bloodshed.

So mea culpa. I am now officially in the minority. And I get that what's attractive is subjective. But still, I just can’t help but ask. Who in his fucking right mind thinks that this is attractive? 


Tonight I sat through yet another disappointing episode of Project Runway. And again, the judges elected to eliminate a contestant that I’d have kept—and for a garment I liked. But tonight I arrived at a conclusion that begged some indignant response on my part so here goes.

What the fuck is wrong with you people? Doesn’t anyone care about what’s attractive any more? Are we so engulfed by the excitement of new that we’ve abandoned what’s pretty? Shouldn’t fashion be pretty. And WHEN FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST will our current runways finally finish vomiting 1985’s sour bile?

No comments: